By CFEO Director of Media
If you’ve spent any time on social media lately, you probably have a friend that loves to post flowery motivational quotes. You know the ones – they reassure your value and that everything is going to be ok. We’re all different, so I’m glad they exist for the people that need them. For the rest us of who are better motivated by direct words accompanied by expletives, there’s CT Fletcher.
I’m no expert on CT Fletcher – I only came to knowledge of him last week. All I know is that he is a champion power-lifter, has the presence of someone who has overcome adversity, and speaks with the tone and vernacular of the street-wise character in a 70’s era movie. That was all I needed to become an instant fan.
These are CT Fletcher’s 10 Commandments for Muscle Growth, but I felt like they could be applied to all areas of life, so here they are (the commandments are his, the bullet points are summations based on his verbal explanations):
1. I Command You To Grow!
- You must have the proper mental attitude to command growth.
- You must say it with conviction. Train your brain, speak it, believe it, then say it. Or shut up.
2. Question The Impossible
- Never accept the limitations of someone else or that someone puts on you.
- Decide for yourself what is your limitation.
3. Pain Is Necessary
- It’s inescapable; pain is a necessity of growth.
- Get used to it, make friends with it, then kick it’s a**.
4. Listen To Your Body
- The best judge of what you should and should not do is your own body.
- Learn to listen to it; it will tell you if something is working.
- Don’t be wishy-washy, or in the middle, or indecisive.
- Get a clear picture of what you want to achieve and then go after it.
6. Change Your Routine
- Don’t get comfortable; change things up and your body will adapt and change.
- When it is forced to change, that change will produce growth.
7. Build From All Angles
- We are all different; two people doing the same exercise will feel it differently and will be affected differently.
- Experiment with building muscle – don’t be afraid to go outside the norm.
8. Overload The Muscle
- Whether by heavy load or volume, overloading the muscle makes it uncomfortable.
- It’s at that point that you can force it to adapt, to change, to make it do what you want it to do.
9. Be Obsessed
- If you want to be the best at anything, you must be obsessed with it – ask any champion.
- Eat it, sleep it, breath it, because without it, you will never be great.
10. Never Be Satisfied
- You cannot progress further than satisfaction.
- Satisfaction is the end of your growth, the end of your journey.
Don't just take my word for it. My summation of his commandments may be enough for some people, but like Fletcher said, we're all different. Some may be ready to scroll on to the next thing. But if you want to experience Fletcher the way that I did, check out the video that schooled me below.